Q: 911: When to Call
Our citizens should not hesitate to call 911 whenever they need a Police Officer. But remember ALL calls needing a Police Officer (no matter big or how small the need) response should go through 911.

Q: When should I NOT call 911?
If you need basic information during regular business hours (Mon-Fri, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.) you can call the ZPD front desk at 919-823-1818.

Q: How do I get a copy of a police report?
If you are a party to a police report or an accident report you can get a copy of your report by coming to the Police Department during our regular business hours (Mon-Fri, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.). You should wait at least five (5) business days from the incident to ensure that the report has been approved and has been entered into the computer. Copies of reports are $4.00 per copy. If your report is an accident report you may want to let your insurance copy obtain the copy of the report as a routine part of their investigation.

Q: Where can I get my fingerprints taken?
The Zebulon Police Department will assist citizens in taking their fingerprints and providing them with a copy of the fingerprint card. Cost of fingerprints are $15.00.  However, if you need a criminal history or a computerized live scan of the fingerprints you will need to go to the Wake County Public Safety Building—CCBI.

Q: Pistol Permits/Concealed Carry Permits?
Pistol Purchase Permits and CCW Permits are available from the Sheriff’s Office in the county which the citizen resides. The Zebulon Police Department does have information available in our lobby concerning the process. Wake County Sheriff’s Office.

Q: Sex Offender Registration
North Carolina Law Requires Sex Offenders to register with the Sheriff’s Office in the county where they reside (see Wake County Sheriff’s Office link). The Sex Offender Registry can be found on the NC State Bureau of Investigation web site.

Q: How do I become a police officer/deputy sheriff?
The requirements for becoming a North Carolina Police Officer or Deputy Sheriff can be found on the NC Department of Justice’s web site. Zebulon applicants should already be certified as a graduate of the North Carolina Basic Law Enforcement Training Academy (BLET) or currently enrolled in the program.

Q: How do I take out a warrant or get a restraining order?
Citizens may seek warrants or summons’ on individuals for matters that are considered misdemeanors under NC law. The warrants are issued by a Wake County Magistrate located on the 1st floor of the Wake County Public Safety Building on Salisbury Street in Raleigh. In most cases it is best for the citizens to have first contacted their local law enforcement agency to file a report and for guidance. Restraining orders are issued by a judge upon the request of an assistant district attorney. Citizens seeking a restraining order should contact the Wake County Magistrates Office.

Q: How do I get involved in Community/Neighborhood Watch?
“See Programs”

Q: Worthless Check (Deferred Prosecution Program)
If a citizen or a business has a check returned that meets the program eligibility they may contact Donna Moye with the Wake County worthless check program at 919-792-5077.

The following checks are not eligible for the Deferred Prosecution Program:
- Checks in excess of $500
- Persons with more than four (4) outstanding Worthless Checks, whose total is more than $400
- Two-Party Checks

For more information regarding this program contact the Worthless Check Program.

Q: How do I get a police officer to speak at my civic, faith, school or local function?
“See Speaker Bureau under programs”

Q: How do I found out about the status of a Police Case?
If you want more information regarding your case, the best way is to speak with the Officer or Detective handling your case. If you have the Officer or Detective’s extension you may contact them directly, otherwise, contact the main number at 919-823-1818 and leave a message for the Officer or Detective.

Q: What do I do when I see suspicious activity?
Watching out for suspicious activity can be difficult; however, you should remember one simple rule: “If you see a situation that doesn’t look or feel right to you, then it is suspicious.” Many crimes are prevented (or solved) because an alert citizen reported suspicious activity. It’s far better to discover that nothing is wrong than to not call the police and allow a crime to be committed.