Solid Waste & Recycling Collection

New Residents:

  • When you contact the City of Raleigh billing department for water service, you are automatically added to the solid waste collection service.  The fee is $19.25 per month which includes 1 trash cart, 1 recycling cart, and bulky waste collection.  Trash and bulky waste are collected weekly and recycling is collected bi-weekly.
  • If you do not have a trash and/or recycling cart, please call Public Works at 919/269-5285 for delivery of carts.
  • If your trash and/or recycling carts were curbside on Sunday night and were not emptied, please contact Public Works as early as possible on Tuesday.
  • There are 5 annual holidays which can affect your household solid waste and recycling pickup day.  Those holidays are: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day and Christmas Day.  If any of these holidays occur on Monday, your household waste will be collected on Tuesday.  During other holidays, your pickup day is Monday. Please have your garbage cart and recycling cart at the curb on Sunday evening.

CURBSIDE GARBAGE refers to animal, vegetable or other non-recyclable household solid waste generated by occupied premises to be stored within the Town-provided 96-gallon typically grey rollout carts. This service is provided once a week by Waste Industries, Inc.

Trash carts are emptied weekly and should be used for the disposal of residential garbage only. The carts should be placed curbside on Sunday night and should be removed no later than 7:00 p.m. after the cart has been emptied. Do not place the cart in the street, but on the curb only. Please turn the cart so the lid opens to the street. You may order a second trash cart from the Town if your volume routinely exceeds the capacity of your cart. The cost for an additional trash cart is $10.62/month.  If you have difficulty rolling your cart to the curb, please contact Public Works at 919/269-5285 regarding backdoor pickup.

***Please note: Any and all syringes placed in the trash should be secured in a milk jug, coffee can or similar container to prevent injury or contamination to personnel. Trash carts found with loose syringes will not be picked up until secured.***

CURBSIDE RECYCLING refers to household recyclable solid waste generated by occupied premises to be stored within the provided 96-gallon typically green recycling cart. Recycling carts are marked recycling on the lid and are emptied bi-weekly. Please do not put trash in the recycling cart.  Trash cannot be picked up by the recycling truck and the cart will not be emptied.  Increased recycling lowers the amount of solid waste taken to the landfill and, in turn, lowers the disposal cost.

What can you recycle?

  • Newspapers with inserts
  • Glass (clear, green and brown color)
  • Aluminum, bi-metal, ferrous and steel cans
  • HDPE (#1 milk, detergent and fabric softener bottles)
  • PET type containers (#2 plastic soda bottles)
  • Plastic food containers (#3, #4 and #5)
  • Corrugated cardboard
  • Office papers
  • Residential mixed paper (junk mail and catalogs)
  • Paper board (cereal and food boxes)
  • Magazines (all types)

An extra recycling cart may be ordered at a cost of $3.46 per month.  For a calendar and map of the solid waste and recycling schedule, please click the following link:


Any excess trash and/or recycling that will not fit in the cart should not be placed at the curb.  It will not be collected by our contractor.  Excess items that cannot be held until the next pickup, should be taken to Wake County Convenience Center #11 located at 5051 Wendell Boulevard between Zebulon and Wendell. This location accepts the same items as Waste Industries. It also accepts large bulky items (mattresses, bicycles, etc.), scrap metal recycling and corrugated cardboard. For a list of items accepted at Convenience Center #11, please refer to the Wake County Waste and Recycling Information Guide.

HAZARDOUS WASTE refers to items whose disposal in a landfill may contaminate the soil and groundwater. These items include batteries, paints, solvents, motor oil, pesticides, herbicides, poisons and other chemicals. Neither Public Works nor Waste Industries can pick up hazardous waste. For more information regarding hazardous waste sites, call Wake County Solid Waste Management at 919/856-7400 or visit their website at

BULKY WASTE refers to solid waste including, but not limited to, stoves, refrigerators, water heaters, washing machines, dryers, furniture exceeding 60 pounds. Please put these items by the curb before 7:00 a.m. Friday for pickup by Public Works staff. Residential dwellings currently receiving trash pickup will receive bulky waste pickup. We cannot pick up items which cannot be received by the landfill including, but not limited to, construction materials, treated lumber and hazardous waste. Removal of stumps and construction or demolition debris is the responsibility of the contractor.  

ELECTRONICS – Zebulon Public Works Department will not pick up televisions, computers or other electronic items during bulky waste pickup. You may be able to recycle these items at Wake County Convenience Center #11 or the Wake County Multi-Material Drop-Off Facility in Raleigh.  

***The Public Works Department will pick up discarded tires during one week per year, limit 4 tires per household. The dates will be announced in advance by the Public Works Department.***

For more information on Reducing, Reusing and Recycling, contact the Wake County Solid Waste Management Division at 919/856-6186 or on the internet at

DEAD ANIMAL REMOVAL - Zebulon Public Works removes dead animals from town right-of-ways/streets.  NCDOT removes dead animals from state right-of-ways.  We do not remove dead animals from private property.  This is the responsibility of the resident or property owner.  Please call us at 919/269-5285 to report a dead animal.  All carcasses are disposed of at a licensed animal crematorium.